Killruddery House ~ County Wicklow

Killruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds Photography

On a sunny Saturday in September I visited Killruddery House, one of Ireland’s stunning historical homes, just outside Bray in Co Wicklow.  Killruddery had been on my list of places to visit for quite some time, and I was delighted to make it there just at the end of the summer when most of the gardens were still in bloom and the orchard trees hung heavy with apples.

While I didn’t venture inside the house itself, I did have a nice wander around the gardens and food market for a couple of hours with the camera.  It is possible to take a tour of the house, but on such a lovely day I didn’t feel like heading indoors!  The grounds were a treat to explore, offering many different vantage points to view the house, plenty of secret spaces to discover and an abundance of mature trees just beginning to shift into their autumn colours.  I loved it there :)

I also stopped for a rest in the tea rooms, where I had a wonderfully zesty citrus polenta cake with fresh cream and orange segments; it was delicious!

Well worth a visit, it’s less than an hour from Dublin’s city centre and makes an excellent place for a stroll on a nice day.  The market is brimming with tempting local produce, and there are often events in the house and grounds for both children and adults alike.  To find out more you can visit the Killruddery website or say hello to them on Twitter or Facebook.

I look forward to heading back there again at different times of year to see how the gardens change with the seasons.

Killruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographyKillruddery House, Ireland | City of Blackbirds Photography

This entry was posted in Historical Homes, Photography, Wicklow. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Sweet Notes on Killruddery House ~ County Wicklow

1. naoise says:

Love Killruddery and love these shots Eadaoin, I wish I had your ability with the camera. Beautiful.

• Eadaoin says:

Thanks so much Naoise. Killruddery is beautiful, it’s not hard to get some nice shots down there, especially on a sunny day :)

2. Andi says:

OMG this is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen!!! Can you imagine getting married there? Ugh!

• Eadaoin says:

Isn’t it gorgeous Andi! They do actually have weddings there, they have a beautiful space inside for ceremonies – would be an amazing venue.

3. Kerry says:

How lovely to catch the end of summer as she fades into autumn! Will have to visit this place next time I’m in the Motherland. Thanks!

4. Absolutely gorgeous pics Eadaoin, I’ve never been here but would love to visit. And my, that cake looks good!

5. Antonella says:

Oh, these are wonderful! And that cake? To die for!
    The last time I was in Killruddery (wait a second, let me check the spelling… oh yes, it’s correct!) was last year in September to shoot the roll of film I then sent to my film-swap partner (do you remember Rhianne’s Photo Swaps?) in LA. It goes without saying he was flabbergasted by the amazing views!
    You can see them here
    Since the film was cross-processed, I’ve been meaning to go back to shoot another roll but I’ve never been able to do so!

6. These are so beautiful, you really have the eye for beauty Eadaoin, want to go there NOW! X

7. Elizabeth says:

lovely, lovely photographs, Eadaoin…I feel as though I’ve been there, now! Were those Rowan berries in the photo before the apple tree branch? I tried to get some shots of those a few weeks ago, but they didn’t turn out too well for me!

8. Canal Cook says:

Wonderful photos! Kilruddery has been on my to-do list for years as well.

9. aafke says:

Hey, you do some great advertising for them, Eadaoin. Sweet.

10. Dee sewell says:

Simply beautiful and having seen your images it’s now on my places to visit list next year. Thank you for sharing.

11. Amazing photos!! I was going to go here yesterday but ran out of time :( So have to go next week after seeing these photos!!