Sun Sea Sand ~ Sligo

Sligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds Photography

Last month I had a wonderful weekend in Sligo, a part of Ireland I hadn’t spent much time in before.  I stayed in Strandhill, a beach that’s well know in the surfing community, with Denise who took me on a whirlwind tour of the most beautiful areas in the county.

We walked along the beach and dunes in Strandhill, visited the grave of Yeats, watched the waterfall at Glencar and the powerful waves of Mullaghmore, gazed at Ben Bulben from the causeway to Coney Island, ate our way around Sligo’s town centre and drank tea looking across the waves in the peace of a Sunday afternoon.  It was busy, but blissful, Sligo is a stunning place with so much to offer, we only managed to fit in about half of the activities we had planned.

The food was an equally excellent experience: breakfast in Shells, tea and cake in Kate’s Kitchen, gelato from Fabio’s and fresh fish from the Sligo Farmer’s Market for tea on Saturday!  I was spoiled :)

One thing that struck me as I tweeted and shared photos of my trip around Sligo, is how this part of Ireland is so well loved.  Everyone had suggestions of beautiful places to eat, things to see, magic to gather.  And having spent even a quick weekend there I can see why, it’s one of those places that’s easy to fall in love with.  Skies that change constantly from high summer bliss to stormy drama, endless places to explore and gorgeous shops to browse, breathtaking views of mountains and sea, a landscape rich with mythology that captured the hearts of many Irish artistic and literary figures, and of course the impressive shape of Ben Bulben always in the background, forever shape-shifting under different lights.

My only sorrow is that the weekend passed too quickly, but it was time well spent.  I look forward to heading back there to spend more time exploring further and taking in more of those lovely Sligo skies :)

Sligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds PhotographySligo, Ireland | City of Blackbirds Photography

This entry was posted in Beach, Landscape, Photography, Sligo. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Sweet Notes on Sun Sea Sand ~ Sligo

1. Magda says:

Beautiful photos Eadaoin. We visited Sligo something like 2 months ago and my photos are waiting for me to actually do something with them. As well we only had a weekend and I wish we could have spent more time there.
    We also visited Shells, I actually should get their cookbook, hardly ever I get a cake that’s better than my own, and theirs were delicious :D

• Eadaoin says:

The food is gorgeous in Shells isn’t it! We had a lovely breakfast there. Looking forward to seeing your own photos when they’re ready :)

2. Wow what wonderful photographs, Sligo is lovely and I see you visited Glencar, it is actually in County Leitrim. County Leitrim is beautiful too, so relaxed and stress free. Love all your photos, I must pick up Shell’s Cookbook too :)

All things nice…

• Eadaoin says:

You know Denise told me about Glencar being in Leitrim, I had completely forgotten! It’s an amazing waterfall isn’t it :) Leitrim is definitely on the list of places to explore, have not really been there either!

3. Andi says:

Wow wow wow these photos totally took my breath away! Adding to Bucket List now!!!!

4. What a wonderfully evocative collection of photographs Eadaoin! The first one reminds me of a watercolour painting. I really love the photo with the fuchsia in front of the waterfall, and the country lane with the cliff above. What a brilliant time you had, and I will go and check the links too. Thank you for taking us to Sligo!
    Bye for now, Jane
    PS I love how you get your photos all so beautifully lined up so that the whole piece flows.

• Eadaoin says:

Thank so much for the kind words Jane, I’m glad you enjoy my photo posts! :) I love the top photo too, there’s so much colour in the landscape and sea!

5. aisling says:

These are gorgeous Ead. I really miss Sligo sometimes; even in dull weather it’s a beautiful place.

6. Antonella says:

Wonderful Sligo and awe-inspiring images! The last (and only) time I was there I bought a lovely necklace made by a young but very talented Irish designer. It’s still one of my favorites!

• Eadaoin says:

That’s one of the things I liked a lot about Sligo Antonella, there seems to be a lot of young designers/artists selling their work there, the shops are full of pretty things to covet!

7. Zoe says:

Your photos truly capture the ethereal beauty of my home county! Stunning shots. Love Fabios and Kates!

8. aafke says:

lovely post and sligo beautifully portrayed.

that first photo, eadaoin….., paul henry springs to mind

9. Sophie Moss says:

These pictures are stunning. I’ve never been to Sligo, but now I’m dying to go! Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing with us. :)

10. Yikes! I’ve just seen these, I love the soft colours and the way you edit…..wowsers!

11. Rhianne says:

Looking at these alone is making me feel rested, it looks beautiful.

12. David O'Hara says:

How cool to have discovered this lovely blog, especially that the post I first read is about my home! I am so delighted you have discovered Sligo and seen/experienced many of its better offerings! Have a look at this and put it on the list for your next visit to Sligo which I hope is not too far away! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF8WfnGZbM4

• Eadaoin says:

Thanks for the kind words David :) SUP looks like a lot of fun, will be something to add to the list of things to do the next time I visit!

13. Mairéad says:

Sligo is one place I’ve visited quite a lot in the past and your lovely photos remind me that another visit is long over due.

14. Val says:

A lovely blog post, I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Sligo

15. Pingback: Weekly Link Love: September 9 | thefieryredhead

16. Kerry says:

Your landscapes could be paintings…I can see why so many are inspired by this place. It was one corner of Ireland that I didn’t get to visit but have it on my list for the next go round.

17. Beautifully atmospheric photos, thanks for sharing that part of Ireland! I especially loved the one of the castle in the far distance.